MPH in Physical Activity and Public Health
Our program will provide you with the essential knowledge, skills and experiences that will prepare you to design, implement and evaluate interventions to increase physical activity in populations.
With the MPH-PAPH degree, there are many career opportunities in the areas of:
- Health and wellness
- Active transportation to school
- Corporate wellness
- Transportation and community design
- Parks and recreation
- Chronic disease prevention
- Community-based physical activity interventions
- Policy and environmental change
- Preparation for working in local and state health departments
Students completing the MPH in Physical Activity and Public Health (PAPH) will be able to:
- Explain the physiological responses to an acute bout of exercise and the physiological adaptations to chronic aerobic and resistance exercise.
- Explain the health effects of physical activity and the scientific basis for current public health physical activity guidelines for persons in varying demographic groups.
- Apply evidence-based strategies to develop a physical activity intervention.
- Evaluate an evidence-based physical activity intervention.
- Differentiate among and appropriately use measurement and surveillance techniques to assess physical activity at the population level.
In Fall 2019, the Arnold School of Public Health launched our redesigned MPH programs to meet new accreditation criteria from the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Students in the MPH-PAPH program will complete the public health core and take an additional 29 credit hours as follows:
Physical Activity and Public Health Core (18 hours)
EXSC 780 (3) Physiology of Exercise
EXSC 700 (3) Physical Activity & Health: Epidemiology, Research, & Practice
EXSC 710 (3) Behavioral Aspects of Physical Activity
EXSC 754 (3) Community-based Physical Activity Interventions
HPEB 710 (3) Evaluation of Health Promotion Programs
EXSC 732 (3) Measurement of Body Composition & Associated Health Behaviors
Elective (3 hours)
Applied Practice Experience and Capstone Course (8 hours)
EXSC 796 MPH Capstone Course (2 hours)
EXSC 797 Public Health Practice (6 hours)
Learn how to apply.