We want you to take extra precautions to enjoy a safe holiday break. Please consider the following recommendations to help keep you from becoming a victim of robbery, theft or internet scam.
If you are leaving for break:
- Avoid parking on public streets.
- Make sure you lock your room doors and windows and remove all portable items from your vehicle such as GPS navigation devices, stereo face plates, coins and CDs. If you must leave something in your car, lock it in the trunk.
- If you live in a residence hall or apartment, take all valuables with you, such as laptops, game systems, money, jewelry and other items.
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house, and have newspaper and mail delivery suspended.
- Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
- Leave a radio or television on a timer so the house looks and sounds occupied.
- Keep your bicycle in your room during the holidays and when you are away from home.
- Have a neighbor park his or her car in your driveway so that the house looks occupied.
Staying safe while shopping:
- Be aware of your surroundings and make eye contact with those around you.
- Keep belongings close to you and do not have your purse unattended in a shopping cart.
- Don’t leave packages sitting in sight in your car and keep doors locked.
- Break down boxes that are being left outside and put them in a garbage bag so thieves don’t know what you have purchased.
- If you are having packages delivered to your residence, require that packages be signed for or be home to receive them so thieves cannot steal packages left outside your home.