- Make sure you are registered for the correct science classes (science majors’ science courses) at Orientation.
- Attend the Pre-Med Orientation before the start of classes.
- Stop by or call the Office of Pre-Professional and Graduate Advising to be placed on our list-serv. Do this soon as you arrive on campus.
- Inform your academic advisor that you are a pre-med student.
- Focus on your grades; get off to a good start by honing your time management and study skills.
- Begin getting exposure to health care through community service, part-time employment, or shadowing. The Office of Pre-Professional and Graduate Advising offers day-long experiences through MedView Shadowing Program on our website.
- Get to know your professors! You will need letters of recommendation next year.
- Begin reviewing for the MCAT.
- Attend informational meetings for junior class or visit the Office of Pre-Professional and Graduate Advising to make sure you are on track. This is important! This is the busiest year for your med school application preparation.
- You should have at least three recommendations; two from science professors, one from a nonscience professor, and one or two from other sources (employer, coach, doctor, research mentor, etc.).
- Attend one of the AMCAS workshops offered in the spring. This is CRUCIAL!
- Register for the MCAT.
- Take the MCAT.
- Log on to the AAMC website to begin work on your American Medical Colleges Application Service (AMCAS) application.
- Certify and submit your AMCAS application as soon as possible after the June open date and submit the appropriate supplemental documents.
- Complete and return supplemental (secondary) applications, as received, to specific medical schools.
- Make sure all of your recommendations are sent in according to the AMCAS Instruction Manual.
- Inquire at each medical school to ensure all materials have been received.
- Respond to any medical school interview requests immediately.
- Schedule a mock interview at the Office of Pre-Professional and Graduate Advising.
- Notify all medical schools offering you admission of your decisions as early as possible.
- Please inform our office about acceptances and where you will matriculate. Good luck!
*For a printable version of this page click here [pdf].