Areas of Interest
Areas of Interest are groups of individual majors that fall under a larger academic umbrella. Each Area of Interest brings together degree programs that appeal to common interests, use (and teach) similar skill sets, and lead to related career paths. Exploring Areas of Interest can help you match your unique talents and interests with specific degree programs, discover USC’s 90+ majors, and make connections between your studies and career possibilities.
Change of Major Requirements
Each major has its own set of GPA and/or credit hour requirements that you must meet in order to change your major. See if you meet requirements for a new major, view upcoming change of major deadlines, and familiarize yourself with how to change your major using the Change of Major Requirements Table.
Need help navigating the Change of Major Requirements Table? Schedule an appointment with an Exploratory Advisor!
Exploratory Advisors can help answer a variety of questions about switching majors on the Columbia campus. Schedule an appointment if you would like to explore different major options, see how your prior coursework fits into your new major, need supplemental advisement for your intended major, or need help figuring out how to change your major. (See below if you are interested in changing majors within your current college or school.) Please note: Students who schedule and miss an appointment with an Exploratory Advisor may be subject to a $15 no show fee.
Attend Major Change Drop-Ins
If you already know the major you want to declare, consider dropping in for a 15 minute appointment. During this appointment an Exploratory Advisor can:
- answer general advisement questions
- show you how your prior coursework fits into your new major
- provide supplemental advisement for your new major
Changing majors within your college or school?
How you change major within your current college or school depends upon which college or school you’re in.
- If you want to change majors within the College of Arts and Sciences you may make an appointment with an Exploratory Advisor or visit the Office of Undergraduate Studies in Flinn Hall.
- If you want to change majors within the College of Information and Communications you may make an appointment with an Exploratory Advisor or visit your current CIC advisor.
- If you want to change majors and you are in a college or school other than the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Information and Communications, simply meet with your assigned academic advisor for next steps on switching your major.
Major Change Resources
The Change of Major Directory provides program information, GPA requirements, and necessary "how to" steps for changing majors into each of the 11 colleges/schools on the Columbia campus. View the Change of Major Requirements Table.
Learn more about academic programs offered at USC and their requirements in the Undergraduate Academic Bulletin.
Both advisors and students can access several common forms in Advisor Forms and Resources.
If you are a current nursing student, and/or are considering a major in a related healthcare field, watch these videos to learn more about alternative major pathways that can lead to similar career opportunities in health care.