The Telecommunications Operator answers 911 and emergency calls and provides 24 / 7 dispatch, as well as video and alarm monitoring, including fire and burglar alarms on USC campuses across the state. This position offers on-the-job training to learn new skills in multi-tasking and technology. This job enables you to apply for the University of South Carolina tuition assistance program—one free class a semester after six months of full-time employment. You may apply for this position online. Click Search Postings and select University Police Department from the Department drop-down menu.
- Receives, evaluates and prioritizes emergency and non-emergency calls (including other law enforcement agencies), communicates effectively with various callers in order to obtain pertinent information, and assesses the nature of the call and appropriate call response. Answers routine inquiries, and refers calls not requiring dispatch to appropriate departments. Dispatches proper personnel via radio. Monitors and coordinates police field unit activity.
- Monitors fire, burglar, Rave Guardian mobile app, and door prop alarm signals. Monitors video systems for suspicious activity and if necessary dispatches accordingly. Receives calls from University emergency call boxes.
- Inputs, updates, requests, transmits and queries information from a variety of sources to include CAD and alarm systems, university databases, and NCIC.
- 18 years or older
- United States citizenship
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must provide information for and pass a comprehensive background investigation and polygraph
- Should be able to effectively perform in a multi-cultural, educational environment
- NCIC certified by SLED within six months of hire and maintain certification
- Must successfully complete the basic telecommunications course at the SC Criminal Justice Academy within one year of hire date
- Must have knowledge of keyboarding and be accurate in communicating electronically
- State of South Carolina health, dental and vision care options
- Enrollment in South Carolina Retirement System or State Optional Retirement Program
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Tuition assistance after 6 months of full-time employment
- Access to gym facilities
- Opportunities for overtime
Please review a more detailed version of the selection process here.
Click here to apply online. Click Search Postings and select University Police Department from the Department drop-down menu.