Law Enforcement Careers
The law enforcement division of the University of South Carolina is a professional police department, dedicated to providing a safe environment for the Carolina Community. All officers are appointed and commissioned as State Constables by the Governor of South Carolina and empowered to enforce the laws of South Carolina with statewide authority. Officers are under the regulatory control of the Chief of South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) and must be certified by the S.C. Law Enforcement Training Council by completing all requirements at the S.C. Criminal Justice Academy.
A University of South Carolina Law Enforcement Officer is responsible for the protection of life and property. Responsibilities include:
- Identifying criminal offenders and criminal activity
- Apprehending offenders
- Participating in court proceedings
- Reducing opportunities for crime through preventive measures and directed patrols
- Assisting individuals who are in danger of physical harm
- Providing services including crisis intervention, conflict resolution and community relations
- Handling emergencies including fires, chemical spills and explosions
- Performing general police duties
- United States citizenship
- Age 21 or older
- Must complete initial screening interview and secondary interview with police supervisors
- Must complete a polygraph test
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screening and random drug screenings after hiring
- Must complete a general skills assessment and psychological profile
- Must provide information for and pass a background investigation
- Must possess traditional police skills
- Should be able to effectively perform in a multi-cultural, educational environment
- All successful applicants must complete a twelve-month University probationary period or a six-month probationary period if coming from another state agency
For a detailed description of the selection process and current salary information, click here.
- Quality health, dental and vision care options
- Options for retirement plans
- Paid vacation based on length of service
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Tuition Assistance
- Gym Access / Membership
More detailed information about benefits is available at the University of South Carolina Division of Human Resources Benefits Office.
Apply online (positions may be listed under Law Enforcement and Safety or University Police Department) or visit the Employment Office at 1600 Hampton Street, Columbia, South Carolina 29208. Call 803.777.3821 to learn more.